Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Moose Jaw Buried in the river gravel of the Ikpikpuk River, North Slope, Alaska...as hundreds of fossils are discovered every day along the banks and in the river as it flows north to the Arctic Ocean. This jaw section exhibits two perforations made by the canine teeth of ancient bear along with being extensively chewed then frozen in permafrost for at least ten thousand years.  This region is rich in Pleistocene fossils and amber discovered more towards the mouth of the Colville River.  At one expedition I had discovered dozens of amber artifacts along the beach area out from the mouth of this beautiful Colville delta."

1 comment:

  1. He's baaaack!!! And, I'm so glad! Good to see this post. I trust all is well. The discovery of amber sounds like a good time. I have a few pieces of amber jewelry I bought while in Santa Fe and they are my favorites. Thanks for giving us the low-down on the jaw bone. Love that ancient history.

    ReplyDelete